Pages

Tuesday 21 April 2015

Postcard from Rotorua

High on the list of “things to do in Rotorua” was a visit to the relocated Cottage Flair quilt shop.  Many of you would have been to their previous premises at Ngogotaha – I’m sure I remember some members talking about their weekend retreats there in the past.  Cottage Flair can now be found in the city in Fenton Street, just a stone’s throw from Lake Rotorua.  Hubby didn’t take too much persuading to drop me off there, especially when I discovered that the shop has an adjacent cafe on the premises, called “Coffee and a Yarn”.  With a newspaper to read, he was perfectly content to sit and wait for me while I browsed.  Especially with the promise of coffee and cake when I had finished browsing!

P4200025 Study of a quilter’s husband

Beautiful quilts were everywhere, hung on walls, folded and draped on furniture, and many smaller ones were pinned up on the ceiling.  I love New Zealand designs and this beauty certainly caught my eye.  There was a great selection of NZ fabrics, patterns and quilts too, aimed at the overseas travellers who pop into the shop, I imagine.  Mind you, proud Kiwis also like to work with this fabric.   I have made several NZ quilts myself, as have many others, I’m sure.

P4200027 New Zealand Bird quilt

P4200028 And check out the lovely light and airy classroom

There was plenty to keep me busy for quite some time, haberdashery to check out, wool and knitting patterns, books and magazines, a great selection of felt, and not forgetting the fabric.  The fabric was arranged in little areas, a kiddies corner, NZ fabrics, and Christmas, I noticed. 

P4200026 Pin cushions galore

I’m not a good shopper and I’m one of those who often gets overwhelmed when there is too much choice.  I just couldn’t make my mind up over some lovely patterns, or maybe some of that batik, or Christmas fabric.  In the end I settled on a couple of mags, and then joined Robin for coffee and cake.

Another “must do” in Rotorua was a trip to Wingspan Birds of Prey Trust.  Here they rehabilitate injured birds of prey, from falcons, hawks and owls, and have a captive breeding programme, releasing the youngsters into the wild.  After a look through the aviaries we watched as the falconers put the birds through their paces.  Then both of us got to hold one of these endangered native birds – what a thrill that was!

P4208797 With a female falcon at Wingspan

No comments:

Post a Comment